Thursday, August 8, 2013

Conversations with a Two year old.

At the doctor for her 2 year check-up I was told that Little Miss talks like a 3 1/2 year old. Considering that since Kindergarten my report card always had a check mark next to "Avoids unnecessary talking", I am not surprised. This was the conversation in the car on the way home. 

Little Miss: "Mommy?"
Me: "Yes, Honey?" 
LM: "I see baby elephants."
Me: "You want to see baby elephants?"
LM: "Yeah. Baby elephants at the zoo." 
Me: "Oh, Ok."
LM: "With Mommy elephant and daddy elephant too. Hugs and kisses for baby elephants."
-Pause- 
LM: "No Gorillas. Scare me gorillas." (we are still looking on pronouns). 
Me: "Ok. We don't have to see the gorillas."
LM: "Yeah Mommy. See baby elephants. I love you mommy" (Heart Melt) 

I am beginning to love our car conversations. I think it is because we are both just sitting (which neither of us are good at when we are home). I've started to use these times to foster our relationship and conversations. It makes me look forward to this form of quality time at 5, 8, 13. I know our lives are going to keep getting busier and in all the craziness I am enjoying our bonding that happens when driving. 

LM: "Mommy. Love family"
Me: "You love your family?" (It must be the teacher in me- always questioning.)
LM: ":Yeah. Love my family"
Me: "Who is in your family that you love?"
LM: "ummm...I think Katie mom. I love Katie". 

Here is the slightly scary part of this: She is beginning to sound just like me. At 2 years old I have already molded the way she speaks, acts and interacts with other people. Yikes! It's a much needed reminder though and her imitation has helped me to make a conscious effort to do a couple things in the way I talk and act. 
1) Think before I speak
2) Show grace
3) Be kinder than necessary. 

So I guess we are both kind of helping each other become better people. What a blessing this motherhood thing is turning out to be. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment